Friday, February 29, 2008

I CAN NAME THAT TUNE IN...

I CAN NAME THAT TUNE IN…

Så Ska Det Låta… It’s apparently Name That Tune meets Don’t Forget The Lyrics meets some kind of weekly Swedish music jam. I still haven’t entirely figured out the point to it all, but from what I can tell, it’s really not much more than a reason for performers to get together and sing some stuff on TV. And there’s a bunch of people pretending there’s some kind of game show in there too, but that just seems like background noise to me.

Anyway, thanks to YouTube, here’s some highlights:

Dea Norberg – I Wanna Be Loved By You
Dea’s not really a huge star yet, though more and more I feel like she should be. She seems to have made a career out of playing second-fiddle to other singers… She’s appeared in the Melodifestivalen backing choir a few times, and filled in for the adorable Linda Bengtzing by appearing with Markoolio at several appearances throughout last year singing Värsta Schlagern, as well as several guest spots on other singers' material, but here she gets to show off her own chops, which are actually quite impressive. This might not be a big vocal powerhouse song, but her delivery earns an A from me. She's charming and I like her.



Linda Bengtzing – The Show Must Go On
Linda Sings Queen? Well, here’s a girl who’s got faith in her own abilities, I gotta say! To give credit where it’s due, though, Linda’s issues singing live seem to be limited to MF, cuz she sounds great here... even if she does have the scary stare of someone who is desperate to hold on to their fame. Calm down, Linda. We all love you already…



Sarah Dawn Finer & Daniel Lindström – Take These Broken Wings
Okay, so I have to get this out of the way. I’m borderline obsessed with SDF. Her MF performances just blew me away, her CD is absolutely lovely, and seeing her live was one of my live-concert-highlights of 2007. And, as such, I couldn’t not include this gem. The voices on these two are great together, and Putte (the accompanist) is adorable.



Shirley Clamp & Sonja Alden – For Kärlekens Skull
I can already hear the squeals of joy from the schlagerfans… “Shirley AND Sonja? SQUEEEEEEE!!!” And, y’all aren’t wrong. And, while I’m totally biased, since this is probably my favorite schlager ballad ever written, this is gorgeous. These two were made to sing together. Now let’s just hope they realize it and record more stuff together.



Sonja Alden – Songbird
Simply put, Sonja has one of the best natural voices on the planet. Effortless.



and, finally...

LaGaylia Frazier - Fields of Gold
I don't understand why American music listeners prefer the overdone r&b over-melismatic singers and maudlin college-FM rocker types to people like this... Okay, fine. I'm oversimplifying. I admit that. But it just seems to me that we don't pay enough attention to people like LaGaylia, truly gifted vocalists who don't need any tricks, just pure talent. That's all I have to say on the subject.

No comments: